Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Uncovered Secrets Of Our Own Sweat

The Problem with Sweat and How To Rebound By Changing Our Sports Drink:


Today we are going to talk about how to save the athletic careers of our talented athletes and maintain our recreational fitness activities by making a simple sports drink change. This change is needed to offset the little know but highly detrimental effects from essential nutrients lost through our sweat while training, playing, or just having fun in the sun. This sweat educed essential nutrient loss, if not properly replenished, is known to lead to muscle cramps, weakened bones and joins, reduced internal organ function, and shortened life spans. All serious athletes know that water is not enough to keep us going during long hard workouts; but what most of us don’t know it that the popular sports drinks we find at the convenient stores are not sufficient to restore our critical essential nutrients lost in sweat. Many young athletes are dropping dead or suffering shortened careers due to this lack of knowledge. I have a personal story that relates to this that I will share with you at the end of this blog.
According to the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, 100,000 youngsters, as well as pros die each year from cardio-vascular disorders as a result of sports- This is twice the number of people that die on our nations highway! 45,000 of the 100,000 play basketball, not boxing or football. In hard exercise, people sweat out many of their vital minerals- not just sodium and potassium. Rigorous exertion without replacing lost minerals can be fatal. There are sports drinks that are supposed to replace nutrients lost during exertion, these would work fine if they had more than sugar, salt, potassium and food coloring.




Throughout your workout, you are sweating out vitamins and minerals…nutrients that are essential for your body to function properly. Exercise in hot weather further depletes your body of nutrients. The longer you go without replacing these lost nutrients, the more difficult it becomes for your body to replenish them.
Cramping – fatigue – dehydration. Your body is sending signals that these nutrients must be replaced…and fast. These nutrients include major and trace minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, which support your body in fighting free radical damage. Just as you would not continue to run a car without oil, do not continue to exercise without replacing these nutrients.


Dr. Joel Wallach has worked with numerous athletes over the years, both aspiring and at the professional level. He has seen these people and others use many sports drinks on the market today with the belief that sugar, salt and electrolytes are enough to support their body during their workout. With absolute conviction he will tell you that these are not enough.



The Sports Drink Of The Future:


Rebound Fx unique formula combines major and trace minerals with vitamins and antioxidants to create a powerful, nutritional drink for active people. Your body needs more than the short energy bursts that most sports drinks provide. With 20 major nutrients and at least 70 trace and major minerals, Rebounds unique formulation gives you lasting energy and supports your body throughout your entire workout.

Rebound Fx provides the answer that makes sense for your body; one that strengthens and supports your body, for a lasting future.

Rebound Fx is used by all different types of people – from professional athletes and university athletic teams – to firefighters and police officers – and everyone in between. It is the ideal solution for ANYONE who lives in a warm climate or who participates in ANY form of exercise or outdoor activities.

Rebound FX is an all-natural dietary supplement designed to replenish important nutrients lost during work and play. Rebound FX is a specially formulated plant derived liquid mineral supplement for individuals who expend extra amounts of energy.

Endorsed by NBA All-Star Theo Ratliff.
This high-energy sports drink gives you quick, sustained energy. Indulge in the luscious taste of Citrus Punch and can ether be purchased in a 360G Canister or in convenient Single Serving packaging of the Crystallized long lasting form. Also available in Liquid form in 32oz Bottles in MELON MADNESS, BERRI BOOST and TROPICAL TIRADE Flavors. Rebound fx™ is a high-energy drink that offers a balance of antioxidants, natural herbs, and important minerals such as potassium.

 
 



My story:
I know this first hand. My teammates will attest that I was the sweat king. It was hereditary because my mother and brother sweat just as profusely as I do during exercise in the sun. I grew up playing every sport available to me in Pensacola Florida (football, basketball, track, & baseball). It gets very hot and humid in Pensacola!! I was highly recruited by colleges to play football and started receiving communication from schools like LSU while I was in the 10th grade. I drank plenty of water and common sports drinks and did plenty of training in all weather conditions…even hurricanes. During the second to last game in my junior year I tore a ligament and cartilage in my right knee which cost me the last game, track season and spring practice (where major schools like Alabama, FSU, and Auburn came down to see me). Although I did not play in the spring and it scared some schools, I received daily communication over the summer from the USC Gamecocks, and Coach John Harbaugh of the Cincinnati Bearcats. I trained and rehabbed hard all summer to be ready to go at the start of my senior season. During the first game of our season my repaired right knee gave out and tore. I had to have another surgery, missed numerous games, and had to watch my team lose every one of them. I came back in time for us to play the undefeated nationally ranked defending state champs on their home field. As a defensive player I’m happy to say that we shocked the world that day by beating them in a 7-0 shutout. One of my good friends today played on that team and hate’s to hear me bring that up.
To make a long story short, I went on to Florida A&M University (FAMU) on a football scholarship and enjoyed playing during the glory years under hall of fame head coach Billy Joe from 1996-2001 (redshirt year included). We did it the old school way. Three weeks of two a day practices in the hottest month of the years (August) in one of the hottest and most humid places in the country, Tallahassee Florida. We practiced in full gear both practices and did not time off due to excessive heat like the guys across the street at FSU got. They were limited in shorts while we were full tilt in the 100 degree heat going at it. I survived by taking salt pills, drinking water throughout practice and drinking at least 32 ounces of Gatorade during the time between practices religiously. I made it through never missing a complete game due to injury (although I had a few). I played on every special team and every defensive package from goal line to dime. No one played more plays than me and no one sweat more than me. It all caught up to me at the end of my FAMU career. By the end of my senior year I had tears in my hamstring, rotator cuff, and broken bones in both of my hands. For some reason I could not get healthy so that I could take my shot at a professional career when the NFL teams started calling. I took some time off to work on getting healthy only to have my left foot give out which lead to three surgeries and I have never been the same. My body said “no mas” before the age of 25. I can only wonder what could have been if I knew more about how to replenish the massive amounts of nutrients lost during 15 years of extensive sweating. I’m sure I sweated more in those years due to extreme activity and genetics, then the average person during two lifetimes.

I know better now. It’s 2013 and I’m 35 years old and equipped with much more knowledge about how to support my body’s ability to self heal through nutrition. I flood my body with the most quality nutritional supplementation out there while eating a quality diet so that I can fully recover and enjoy an active life of travel and fun with family and friends for many years to come. I wrote this blog to help young athletes know what I did not know and make the proper nutritional decisions that will allow them to maximize their talent and achieve their dreams without being derailed early by preventable injuries, conditions or worst. This is also for the older generation that has accepted the false idea that being active is for the young and they will never be able to enjoy those activities that brought them so much joy in their youth. I’m here to say that the body is more resilient than we know, and given the necessary raw materials at a cellular level, we can live youthful for much longer than every thought possible. It all starts right here!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment